Increasing workspace size

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Increasing workspace size

Postby shallit on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 am

Could somebody explain in detail how to get a larger workspace size? I'm using Dyalog 16.0 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I read the documentation about MAXWS but nothing I tried worked.
shallit

Re: Increasing workspace size

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am

To set MAXWS to other than the default value, edit the file $HOME/.dyalog/dyalog.config using your preferred editor. I for example prefer to open a Terminal window and run
      vi .dyalog/dyalog.config

In that file you need to add a line similar to:
      export MAXWS=2048M

The "export" is critical as that defined MAXWS to be an environment variable rather than just a shell variable .. without the "export" MAXWS is not seen by the APL process. The "M" is for MiB; you can use G for GiB.

It is tempting to set MAXWS to a very large value, but you shoud consider how many APL processes you are likely to run at one time, and also bear in mind the amount of physical memory in the machine and the amount of swap space .. setting MAXWS too large can result in the O/S killing processes or restarting.

There is a description of how Dyalog's memory manager works at http://help.dyalog.com/16.0/Content/UserGuide/Installation%20and%20Configuration/Workspace%20Management.htm
AndyS|Dyalog

Return to New to Dyalog?