New Life for QuadWC?

Using (or providing) components based on the "Win32" framework

New Life for QuadWC?

Postby paulmansour on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I love ⎕WC. But whether I like it or not, I have a huge investment in it. I have resisted WinForms, put off learning WPF, and only recently looking into the HTML5/Javascript/CSS stack - (this latter being important regardless). So the idea of streaming my ⎕WC app through a browser to any device with no plugins or anything is more than a bit interesting:

https://aws.amazon.com/appstream2/

This would of course also allow streaming a WPF app.

Here is an additional blog post by the AWS team. Note there is a upcoming webinar on the 20th of January:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/amazon-appstream-2-0-stream-desktop-apps-from-aws/

I tried the Excel demo on the site. I had a 300 millisecond latency which proved annoyingly slow to do real work. Amazon recommends a 100 millisecond latency.

If this works as advertised, it could really extend a lot of ⎕WC apps.

I intend to try out our products with it, and will report back.

Happy New Year!

Paul
paulmansour

Re: New Life for QuadWC?

Postby paulmansour on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 am

We set this up with a real Amazon account and the results were much much better than the demo. Not sure if it was my connection or the demo, but it works very well. More investigation needs to be done, but this could be a game changer.
paulmansour

Postby MikeHughes on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Hi Paul,

Not sure if you are still interested but we are progressing well now with qWC.
I have the framework working and we are now adding more controls.

Still have to speed it up but we have many, many ways to do that - we are still adding content as the priority.

The most exciting advance is that we have it working locally in a workspace using the HTMLRenderer so NO HTTP server is needed, just the simple Web Sockets Conga task (no config needed) - so install a directory and use it. The syntax is identical so to make it web based you just add the HTTP server. So a GUI for all environments that support the HTML Renderer even if a Web based solution isn't needed.

I am confident that we can do 99.9999% of ⎕wc if not 100%. I will also be adding other controls like GDDM screen, Charting, and a Diagram for system flow charts - these are needed for other projects I hope to be involved with.

I only ask as no one seems interested in the project and I want to know how much effort to put in and whether there are priorities that need to be included to get interest.

Best regards
Michael
MikeHughes

Postby paulmansour on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm interested.

Where and how is it delivered, documented?
paulmansour

Postby MikeHughes on Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi Paul,

Sorry for late reply. I've had to try and include two new controls, a GDDM emulator and the Syncfusion Diagram control. Still work in progress but distracting.

Oh Good, I was worried people had lost interest after the awful conference.
I'll let you know when we release the next alpha, expected in the next few weeks.
I'd appreciate your feedback.

I am fixing an issue with the returning events (where the browser responds to the result of an APL callback). Those like Select are Ok as they go to APL, run a callback and finish.
The returning ones need to call the APL callback while the browser suspends the browser callback while running other browser commands and then pick up the response from APL and continue with the browser callback acting appropriately including cancel or executing another event message returned from the APL callback. I have a bug in the actionBefore and actionComplete which are generic covers for several events/actions in Syncfusion.

I am expecting the release to be sometime in the next couple of weeks, if testing goes well.

The documentation is basically the Dyalog []WC object reference manual (with permission from Dyalog). I will gradually complete all the non TCP or OCX entries. Priority will depend on need/user requests but we already have a reasonable subset. The Grid is shaping up quite well. I am making sure CellTypes is now more robust but it will be usable in the next release.

I will try to have RowTitleCellTypes, ColTitleCellTypes, TopLeftCellType TitleFCol, TitleBCol and TitleInput ready for the "buttons" around the grid to go with the current CellTypes, etc. but this may delay testing by a week. This is to show we can extend as well as emulate the current.

The documentation first chapters explain the usage but the rest will follow the current document. Differences/omissions and extensions like FCol and BCol allowing the css colour names as well as the rgb integers will be colour coded in the margins of the document.

The thing I'm most pleased with is that I can now use the HTMLRenderer WITHOUT using a webserver
so Locally (on any Dyalog platform except Pi due to HTMLRenderer limitations)
- you install a directory c:\dyalog\output (path will be user configurable after alpha)
- )load a ws from that directory (or copy namespace and run LX fuction)
- type qLocal ''

This starts an html renderer and allows qWC usage with the htmlrenderer

ie
qLocal ''
'#' qWS 'Coord' 'Pixel'
'f' qWC 'Form'
etc

To use over internet you need a config file with port and webserver address which gives a browser access to the workspace - once loaded the "quadlx" is whatever is set to onLoaded.

This is identical except you don't call qLocal '' as you use a browser not the HTMLRenderer but you will need a Webserver like NGinx, Appache, IIS2 or MiServer.

Will keep you posted
MikeHughes

Return to Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX