Disabling dyalogrt.exe from popping up message boxes

Using (or providing) components based on the "Win32" framework

Disabling dyalogrt.exe from popping up message boxes

Postby harsman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 pm

When an untrapped error occurs, dyalogrt.exe normally pops up a messagebox saying something like "This Dyalog APL application has attempted to use the session and will be terminated".

I have a number of automated tasks running using dyalogrt.exe and it would be nice if they just silently created a CONTINUE.DWS on error instead of trying to pop up a messagebox that no one will see. In fact, if run as scheduled tasks under e.g. the SYSTEM account, the message box is invisible, so the process just appears to hang. I can create a general trap myself that does []SAVE and []OFF, but implementing that in every workspace seems a bit much.

Using RunAsService=1 doesn't disable this behaviour, is there something else I can do to make dyalogrt.exe be quiet and not try to throw up message boxes in case of an error?
harsman

Re: Disabling dyalogrt.exe from popping up message boxes

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:37 am

Hi,

What is the BuildID of the dyalogrt.exe that you are running?

dyalogrt.exe should not pop up the runtime violation message box if you have set RunAsService=1.

Setting RunAsService will also turn on the DYALOG_NOPOPUPS parameter.

DYALOG_NOPOPUPS
If set to 1, suppress various popups such as the syserror dialog box or runtime violation box.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Re: Disabling dyalogrt.exe from popping up message boxes

Postby harsman on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

The build id is 1547663c, v12.1 Classic. I don't actually see any message boxes (there is no user session that can show them since the process is running as a scheduled service) the process just hangs.

However, If I run manually I can see that the cause of the hang is a trap and fixing the trap stops the hang from occuring again.

I'll see if it always happens or only under particular circumstances.
harsman

Return to Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX