Parameters for bound executables

Using (or providing) components based on the "Win32" framework

Parameters for bound executables

Postby sjt on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:37 pm

I have a substantial job to run in the background. It eats and excretes files and can run unattended. The machine to run it might be chosen at runtime, so an EXE with the Dyalog Run-Time DLL bound into it seems convenient.

Were I running this on a machine with a Dyalog interpreter, I would start APLW.EXE from the OS, passing it the DWS, input filenames and output folder as parameters.

The CHM tells me I can't do that with the EXE, which has no access to the command-line parameters. Is this true? (I haven't tested to confirm.) I can invent other ways to pass the EXE its mission, but nothing as convenient as command-line parameters. What have others done?
sjt

Re: Parameters for bound executables

Postby DanB|Dyalog on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 am

Where in the CHM did you see that?
AFAIK you can create a link that includes parameters on the command line.
Using 2 ⎕NQ'.' 'getcommandlineargs' you should be able to grab them.
DanB|Dyalog

Re: Parameters for bound executables

Postby sjt on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:57 am

Article "GetEnvironment"

GetEnvironment is not supported by DYALOG.DLL because it does not use parameters.

Reading further, I see

Article "Run-Time Application and Components":

The command-line for your application should simply invoke your EXE, with whatever start-up parameters it may require. Note that your application icon and any start-up parameters for the Run-Time Interpreter are specified and bound with the EXE when you make it.

The hopeful reading of what you say is that within the Runtime DLL,

2 ⎕NQ '.' 'getcommandlineargs'

will find the parameters used to call the EXE and possibly also parameters bound with the EXE.
sjt

Return to Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX