What's missing in the unregistered version of v14?

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

What's missing in the unregistered version of v14?

Postby Stu on Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Someone interested in a program I wrote using v14.1 says the program isn't compatible with the unregistered version of v14. Does anyone know what's likely to be the problem? My program has a simple GUI and it makes some use of objects such as poly and bitmap. Other than that, the program uses just the core APL language.
Stu

Re: What's missing in the unregistered version of v14?

Postby Fiona|Dyalog on Wed May 18, 2016 6:39 am

Hi Stu

The unregistered version of Dyalog 14.0 is identical to the registered version of Dyalog 14.0 except for the addition of periodic pop-up windows in the unregistered version.

All the differences between 14.0 and 14.1 can be found in the Release Notes - see http://docs.dyalog.com/14.1/Dyalog%20APL%20Release%20Notes.pdf. If you're not making use of anything in here then the code is backwards-compatible.

What could be the issue is that internal workspace numbers can increment between releases and those aren't backwards-compatible. If your program is a script then the interested party should be able to load it but if you sent them a workspace then they might not be able to.

I hope that helps. If not, then I'm sure one of my colleagues can shed further light on the issue.
Fiona|Dyalog

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Wed May 18, 2016 10:55 am

Hi Stu,

You can use User Commands to export your functions in an intermediate format.

In your 14.1:
]transfer.out c:\tmp\nowtextws

This will make a nowtextws.XDW file that you can email to the other person.

Then, in their 14.0, they could do this:

]transfer.in c:\tmp\nowtextws.XDW
)save c:\14ws\my140.dws

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Wed May 18, 2016 12:50 pm

or alternatively, send the workspace to support@dyalog.com and we'll do it for you !

The unregistered version hasn't been updated since 14.0 .. however, it is our intention to update it to 15.0 a month or so after we release 15.0 .. and 15.0 will load workspaces from 11.0 onwards.

Stu .. if you're going to put more workspaces up in the next 2 or so months, please phone us, or send support an email with your contact details and we can have a chat about the various options which can make this as easy as possible for you and those who use your code.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby Stu on Wed May 18, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks to Fiona, Vince, and Andy for the helpful suggestions (you guys are awesome!). It looks like the easiest thing for me to do is to email the WS to support@dyalog.com, which I will do shortly.

-Stu
Stu

Return to APL Chat