Error starting MiServer 3.0 under SuSe Leap 42.2

MiServer is Dyalog's APL-based web development framework

Error starting MiServer 3.0 under SuSe Leap 42.2

Postby bilekflo on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Dear all,

I tried to run MiServer 3.0 under openSuse Leap 42.2. I followed the installation manual. The server is installed at /local/sys1/MiServer-3.0.

Basically the server seems to be running, I can access the MS3 Sample Site but I receive below error messages in a window called Status Output.

What is here missing?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Florian

Status Output:
line(0,26) : error AC0525: cannot find type ":Class DirectoryBrowser : #._JS.DataTable"
^
line(0,26) : error AC0527: invalid base class or interface declaration ":Class DirectoryBrowser : #._JS.DataTable"
^
line(0,27) : error AC0528: only interfaces can be declared after the base class ":Class DirectoryBrowser : #._JS.DataTable"
^
line(0,27) : error AC0527: invalid base class or interface declaration ":Class DirectoryBrowser : #._JS.DataTable"
^
line(0,28) : error AC0528: only interfaces can be declared after the base class ":Class DirectoryBrowser : #._JS.DataTable"
^
Complete: 5 errors.
bilekflo

Re: Error starting MiServer 3.0 under SuSe Leap 42.2

Postby Brian|Dyalog on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi Florian!

Thanks for reporting this.

The short answer:
Everything's fine, you can ignore those messages - they're expected.

The longer answer:
When we initialize MiServer, we load all the widgets found in the folders under the HTML folder. Because we process the folders in alphabetical order and the files within those folders in alphabetical order, the DirectoryBrowser widget in the /DC/ folder depends on the DataTable widget in the /JS/ folder. Because DataTable hasn't loaded yet, DirectoryBrowser fails to load and the error messages are issued. MiServer keeps track of things that fail to load and retries them, so DirectoryBrowser gets loaded in the end. Under Windows, we're to suppress the status messages during this time, but under other operating systems, they will display in the session.

I hope this helps!

/Brian
Brian|Dyalog

Postby bilekflo on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi Brian,

Yes, thanks for the explanation. I see but I think the software should not behave differently depending on the OS, at least it should not do so in Production mode.
For development it is fine for me but I would make a note in the documentation. Probably it comes from the fact that it is still not so often installed under LINUX?

Regards,
Florian
bilekflo

Postby Brian|Dyalog on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi Florian,

Under Windows, the status messages show up in a separate window that I have control over from within my code. The messages are still generated on Windows, but I can hide the status message window while loading the widgets. Under non-Windows, status messages are displayed to the session and I have no way to suppress them.

There are actually more production installations of MiServer running under Linux than Windows. We do most of our development under Windows, but everything we develop should just run on the non-Windows platforms without any modification. We strive to make our tools as consistent across platforms as possible, but there will be facets, like the status window, that are simply different between platforms. This is not an aspect limited to MiServer, but for any cross-platform applications.

/Brian
Brian|Dyalog

Postby bilekflo on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:53 am

Hi Brian,

I see. Thank you for the info.

Regards,
Florian
bilekflo

Return to MiServer